Comments

We welcome your comments and contributions about the Stone and Rhodes genealogy.

27 thoughts on “Comments

1. Jeniffer Florreich

Hi John, we used to communicate several years ago on our Stone line. I’m the 4th g granddaughter of Elizabeth Jane Stone m. Wesley Bond. I descend through their son, William Ashley Bond m. Emily Ida Isabelle Bidwell, their daughter, Nora Viola Bond m. Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth, their son, Clifford Monroe Wadsworth m. Grace Eliza Terry, their daughter, Ruby Elizabeth Wadsworth m. David LeRoy Thompson, their daughter, Terry LaRae Thompson m. Thomas Michael Reagan and then myself, Jeniffer Lynn Reagan. Alot has happened since we last talked and I would definitely like to catch up. Btw, I love this website, you’ve done a great job with it, keep up the good work!

2. Ruth Jones

Dear John,
      A note from Toronto, Canada.
      Congratulations on your fascinating website. It clearly is a labour of love — and I, for one, have appreciated the detailed research that you have done.
      Based on the information on the Stone Family genealogy section, I believe that my own father’s paternal line is from Mary Stone (b. 1765 ). Mary Stone married John Morrish (b. 1762) in 1787 in Lydeard St. Lawrence (page 48).
      I would be pleased to connect with other descendants from this branch of The Stone Family, and would be particularly interested in knowing if there are distant kin living in Ontario, Canada.
      Best,
      Ruth

3. David Maunder

Hello my name is David Maunder. I live in a house once occupied by John Waldron (d. 1579) who bequeathed funds to build the almshouse in Tiverton. I have been researching the Waldron family and came across Waldron’s Farm Ashbrittle. The owner has lent me a box of 75 documents which I am just starting to study. Thomazine Waldron is mentioned in these documents as well as Richard Stone.
      Can I establish contact to seek your advise and help?

1. Betty Rhodes Gerth-Martin

This site is fascinating to me as I have both Rhodes and Stone lines on my father’s side of the house. Thus far I do not see a connection to either of these lines but will continue to look. My Stone line goes back to a William Stone (S.C.) who married a “Miss McClure”…but some of us wonder if it were “Mrs. McClure”. William Stone had a son named James Stone (1795-1851) (S.C.) and I follow this line easily straight down to my great grandmother Matilda Stone who married a Rhodes. That Rhodes, Johnathan Willis, was born in 1832 (AR) and we can not attach him to parents nor siblings! So my connection with your lines would have to go back to Europe…..I will keep an eye open for ways I may can help. BGM

2. Rolland K. Hauser

John: I tried to log in this morning, but I was rejected because I did not have a User Name and Password registered yet on your site. I looked all over for a place where I could register and provide that information, but I could not find such a place. Did I just miss it? Help! Cheers. Rollie

1. Noel Mann

I have just stumbled into your website. Being one of the “Australian- New Zealand” Stones, I have recorded a large amount of historical stuff on the family.
      Would it be possible to start correspondence with a view to sharing information?
      Mind you, like all researchers I am more inclined to the receiving rather than the giving …….

Noel Mann

3. Charles Ashton (Cheffins Auctioneers, Cambridge)

I have come across your in-depth Stone family archive Blog. We are auctioneers in Cambridge and are due to offer a collection of Stone family documents/deeds/wills/ etc dating from the 17th century to the 19th century, in our sale on July 11th. If these are of interest to you, then I imagine you might be interested in bidding for them. They have been consigned to us for sale, on instructions from a deceased estate.

1. John C. Stone II Post author

Thank you for your comment and advice about the auction. Unless the Stones in question were specifically from western Somerset, I probably will find no connection. Already there are hundreds of Stones in parishes right where my own Stones are whose connection if any has been difficult to prove. We have visited Cambridge a few times over the past 50 years and enjoyed it immensely.

4. Elizabeth

Dear John C , are you going to get these documents at Cheffins or not ???? you are running very close to the auction on 11th, and I could get to Cheffins for you ………have you decided ? They would make a splendid extra chapter and masses of photos of ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS handled and signed by your ancestors . have fogotten your email so am sending via the Stone Rhodes .

5. John Govett

I am a direct descendant of the Clement Govett of Tiverton, who married Jane Hellings in 1741 at Chipstable. In your family tree you show her as being the widow of Richard Hellings (d 1725), whom she married in 1713, and daughter of William Stone & Dorothy Jest. Transcripts of the Chipstable register do suggest that Jane was a widow when she married Clement Govett, but she eventually died in 1756 shortly after having given birth to her third surviving child. It is clearly not possible that these two Janes are the same person. If she was of marriageable age in 1713, she could not have been child bearing in 1756). I have tried hard to find out who Clement’s Jane’s first husband was, to no avail, and wonder whether she was in fact a widow, or was simply recorded as “Mrs” because she was a mature woman or simply in error. Clement in his will (PCC 1759) names his “brother in law John Hellings” as executor and his own daughter Jane Govett (b 1756) went on to marry a John Hellings. John & Ann Hellings of Chipstable had a daughter Jane born in 1715, who could possibly be Clement’s wife. The Somerset Heritage Centre has several Hellings deeds, which I have not yet seen, which may cast some light on this.

6. Sheridon

I really like your site, my ancestors are the Collard, Cox, Lutley, Cording and Hancock’s of Wiveliscombe, and of course Stone. I am doing some family tree research at the moment, so it was lovely to come across your site. To be honest that area is so confusing. All those little villages. I am in Australia. My great great grandmother was the daughter of William Collard Cox the Surveyor and Map Maker born in Wiveliscombe. His mother was Hannah Collard & her brothers were Collard & Collard the Piano manufacturers. I know my ancestors had a fulling mill in Chipstable, the mills, brewery and many properties in Wiveliscombe and the surrounding villages, since discovering this I have began tracing these documents where the properties are passed down through the family in a very strange way. The Stones are mentioned in them, so I thought you might be interested. There are 4 Conveyances, Mortgages and Settlements in the collection, they are held at the Gloucestershire County Council. Anyway our families are relatives of the Stawells from Clothelstone. The last Baron Stawell, John was related to us, and our families inherited different estates throughout the Wiveliscombe area of Somerset. Wiveliscombe is the seat of the Stawell family and they had the Court of Peculiar of Wiveliscombe. It’s really interesting stuff, apparently our family goes back to Adam de Covenstone a knight of William the Conqueror, he was given Clothelstone. If you click, search the archives only and type in Wiveliscombe in the name field all the documents regarding the estates of our ancestors are there for the period around the early to mid 1700’s. During this time they were attempting to disentangle them, I think because of what Oliver Cromwell did to Baron Ralph Stawell. The family estates were confiscated, but then they decided that was illegal and gave them back, but poor Ralph died in the Tower of London, so the family thought it best to give the estates over to all the heirs. It’s a very peculiar place Wiveliscombe with very peculiar ways, it took me a little while to figure it out. Anyway all the best and here is a link to those records. http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=DServeA.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=13&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27wiveliscombe%27%29

1. Tyler Colton

Hi there,

my 6 times great-grandmother, Jane Cox (born about 1729), son of William Cox (Col), married John Lutley (born about 1726) in Wiveliscombe, Somerset, England.

Any chance that you have come across these names in your family tree?

Many thanks,

Tyler.

7. Bob Hunter

Interesting to see your discussions on a STONE family who originate from the same part of Devon as my STONE family!
    My fifth Great Grandfather is Robert STONE son of Samuel STONE and Grace GREGORY baptised in Burlescombe Devon on 17 May 1753 (I have no other information on Samuel and Grace) at some point Robert married Mary TIRREL because between them they had three children all baptised in Burlescombe, Alexander on 8 Jan 1778, Samuel on 12 Nov 1780 and Joan on 20 Apr 1783.
    I wondered if you had found any links to this STONE family from Burlescombe?

8. Frank Stone

Hi there
    Very informative site
    I would be intrested in further contact with yourself, and hopefully to share information
    There seems to be many links to my familty tree, which stem from Somerset, including links here in the viallages of Charlton Mackrell and Charlton Adam

Regards

Frank

9. Beverley Holt

Hi John,
    My mothers maiden name was Perrott and she was born in Bristol in 1939. Her father was Alfred Edward Perrott and I am researching her side of the family and came across your website which I have found to be very interesting and informative.
    I have managed to trace my Perrotts back to Heathfield, Hillfarrance and Oake in Somerset and am trying to find out if the Jane Perratt (maiden name)and John Perratt who married in Chipstable in 1717 are related to my Perrotts/Perratts/Parrotts as the villages they lived in are not that far from Chipstable.
    I read that you are at present unable to trace the parents of Jane and I am trying to find out if my relation William ,born in 1684, is a relation of theirs.
    I would be very grateful if you would share with me any information you have found as to Jane’s/Johns line to see if I can integrate my perrotts and the Perratts mentioned in your family tree.
    Thank you for all the information that you have shared it is greatly appreciated.

Beverley.

10. Kerrie Jones

Hi John,
    My grandmother was a Stone, I have traced my Stone family from now to when they arrived in Australia in
    1849, William Stone married Elizabeth Chick 1844 in Walcot Somerset, Williams parents were Robert Stone & Fanny Godfrey, they married in 1804 in Walton, was wondering if you have any connection please

Regards
    Kerrie

11. Katrina Stone

Hi John.
    This is very exciting for me.
    I am a STONE.
    You are doing an amazing job and filled in so many gaps with such detail, thankyou.
    Richard Stone: 1579-1653 is my 9th great grandfather going down the chain Robert Stone: 1713-1787 6th G/GF, Captain William Stone: 1756-1803 5th G/GF, Peter Hurl Stone: 1842-1921 2nd G/GF and so on down to me, this isn’t all of them of course just a few. I have always wondered how many family lines we have out in the world.
    I would love to be able to read anymore information you may have on the stone family. I don’t have much as I am just starting to compile information and get my head around searching family.

12. Gareth Bullock

John – I doff my cap to your superb research. Many thanks for your wonderful efforts over such a long period. My wife is directly related to the Stone line via Captain1756 and your researches have been a huge step forward for my research of the ancestors of Robert1789. Once I had read your results for Richard1579 and his two families, things were a lot easier. I have found online (FMP) the original parish records for Clayhanger and have trawled through the entries from 1575 till 1640. I have updated my family tree on Ancestry (“Juliet’s family tree” by Gareth Bullock) with some findings but of interest are:
    1. I think Richard1579’s first wife might be Emmin or Emmilin. A burial entry for 8 Aug 1633 gives the wife of Richard Stone as “Emmin’ or such like – the writing is difficult to read. This accords with an entry in 1602 for the birth of John, son of Richard Stone and – what looks like – Emilinne. This is probably a diminutive of Emma.
    2. I can’t find the marriage entry for any Richard prior to 1602 and it may be that he got married in her parish.
    3.The records give clear dates for the birth/baptism of Richard’s first marriage children – John (May 1602), Joane (May 1604), Richard (Nov 1606), Emanuel (Jul 1609), Anne (Agnes?- Oct 1612); can’t find William.
    4. There are burial records for Richard1579’s sons – Richard Venne alias Stone in 1610; William 1636; John 1637.
    5, Richard1579 could be the burial record for 30 Nov 1653.
    6. Burial record for Johan (Richard1579’s daughter Joane?) Jun 1654.
    7. There is a Dec 1581 record for a male Stone with a very difficult to read name which might be Richard who is son of John Stone. Is this Richard1579 possibly?
    8, Intriguingly, there is a Jun 1636 birth record for a daughter of Richard Hawkins and Joan (eldest daughter of Richard1579); she is called “Emmin” – is this the mother naming her daughter after her own mother? Possible support for Richard1579’s first wife being called “Emmin’?
    This is all reasonable guesswork at this stage but it looks plausible and some items look quite likely. I’ll continue to bash away at the records to see what I have missed. I suspect you may well have all of this already so apologies for any duplication.
    Best regards
    Gareth Bullock

1. John C. Stone II Post author

Gareth: My website doesn’t seem to have alerted me as I thought when someone leaves a comment. There are several older than yours when I responded to a WordPress prompt. Anyway, this is just a preliminary response. Your discoveries in the Clayhanger burial records are all new to me! I always wondered why I couldn’t find complete burial records among the many baptismal and some marriage records in copies which I have and from the IGI. For example, I have never seen the burial records for wife “Emma” or children Richared Venne 1610 or William 1636 etc. Where can they be accessed.Anyway, I will read your comments and get back to you………..John Stone